Monday, May 20, 2013

Needle Night - Make Something Happen

I  had been thinking about having my friends over for a "Needle Night".  What is "Needle Night"?  Needle Night is a time to get together with friends and have a nice evening  crocheting, sewing or learning something new.  After I attended Needleworks with Anna Maria Horner  I  thought it might be fun to do something different with my  friends.  I always hear "I wish I knew how to crochet" or "I used to do that but I have forgotten."  I  made it on the night my husband would be gone and it would be a an evening of friendship with my gal friends. This is how I  handled this event!
DSC01376
Always have food.

Extra needles and yarn.

I bought some extra needles and yarn.  One of my friends  wanted to make a dish cloth so I googled it and found out what kind of yarn I needed and made sure I had a few colors to select from as well as a simple pattern. I realized when this evening was over that it worked well for beginners and they were able experience success when they left and that was my goal.  But for me I can't stop making them! AHHHHH
DSC01378Make it festive and check your lighting!
DSC01384
Let the story teller tell stories.

I had the pleasure of running into Anna Maria Horner at QUIlTcon and made sure she new how much she inspired me to move forward with this idea. Her Needleworks week  end retreat  gave me this idea.  Plus, I needed to have some girlfriend time and winter was starting to wear on all of us. I hope you do this someday. If you do I have a few tips for you.
  •  When someone says, "I'll bring something".  Let them.
  •  Make sure all of your light bulbs are working.
  •  Mix up your friends, you would be surprised who knows who!
  •  If somebody wants to come and not do anything, let them.
  • Make food easy and cheap.  Sam's Club pizzas worked great for us.
  • Let your  friends bring what they want to drink, this way you end up with a variety for your refrigerator when they leave. :)
  • Have extra needles and yarn available.  A few of my friends found their mother's kits and used them to start their new creative adventure, others had nothing.
  • Enjoy yourself. :)
DSC01387
Bathroom chalkboard to greet friends.


No comments: